The political leaning of al-Akhbar is well-known in Lebanon, its “leftist” or pro-Resistance stance is not really hidden from the masses.
It has tweeted earlier this evening (12/24/14) a link to an article published today entitled : Israel kills Palestinian in yet another ceasefire violation.
To sum the article up, al-Akhbar expresses concern about the incessant ceasefire violation of Israel that is happening almost daily in Gaza. The ceasefire was to be respected after a violent war that killed more than 2160 Palestinians, most of them civilians. Israel has lost 66 soldiers and 6 civilians (one thai).
Peter Lerner, “IDF” spokesman responded to the tweet.
— LTC (R) Peter Lerner (@LTCPeterLerner) December 24, 2014
Al-Akbhar could not stay silent and answerer to the Spokesman with this tweet.
. @LTCPeterLerner We stand by our reporting; we're a media outlet, not a propaganda outlet for the Israeli Occupation Forces.
— Al-Akhbar English (@AlakhbarEnglish) December 24, 2014
It is important to understand why Al Akhbar indirectly blamed Peter Lerner of Propaganda.
I believe it blamed him for the Hasbara, the strategy Israel uses to embellish its image in the media and in public relations. It is a pitiful euphemism of propaganda.
The Hasbara is taught to Israeli defenders. The Israel project, a US based group that lobbies for Israel, teach Hasbara makers to defend Israel, notably the sensible subject of settlements.
So here’s the five-step approach to talking about civilian casualties in Gaza:
- Empathy: “All human life is precious. We understand that the loss of one innocent Palestinian life is every bit as tragic as the loss of an Israeli life.”
- Admission: “We admit that Israel isn’t always successful at preventing civilian casualties…”
- Effort: “We remain committed to doing everything in our power to preventing civilian casualties.”
- Examples: “Let me tell you how our armed forces are trained, tasked, and operate to ensure that Palestinian civilians remain safe.”
- Turn tables: “It is a tragedy that Iran-backed Hamas shoots rockets at our civilians while hiding in their own … This causes tragic deaths on both sides.”
Al Akhbar has every right to call Peter Lerner, “IDF” spokesperson, a propagandist.